Kelley Drye’s Antitrust and Competition attorneys guide companies, trade groups and individuals through this intricate legal terrain that can determine success or failure in today’s competitive global marketplace. Our clients benefit from the deep experience of our group in each of the major areas of antitrust and competition law and consumer protection: transactions, government investigations, civil litigation, and counseling and compliance. A number of our lawyers served in government, including former officials at the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The firm’s clients also can tap into the deep economic resources of Georgetown Economic Services, a subsidiary of Kelley Drye, that identifies issues, shapes technical and public policy positions, and provides the economic analysis so important to most antitrust issues.
Kelley Drye’s Antitrust and Competition practice group brings together the talents of lawyers in these areas:
- Mergers and Acquisitions– Kelley Drye handles the antitrust counseling and filing requirements in complex transactions for industrial and financial companies around the world. Our team complements Kelley Drye’s own transactional lawyers and/or the transaction teams of the firm’s non-U.S. clients. The firm has handled the antitrust dimensions of transactions across multiple jurisdictions for Fortune 500 and other major multinational companies.
- Joint Ventures and Alliances– Kelley Drye works with trade associations, buyers groups, and businesses that collaborate with others to structure their ventures and alliances in ways that avoid triggering DOJ and FTC scrutiny.
- Investigations and Litigation– Kelley Drye litigates competition issues in a variety of forums, defending against government challenges and handling private antitrust litigation for plaintiffs and defendants. Our lawyers also have substantial experience in criminal investigations, trials, and leniency and amnesty applications. When clients face criminal charges or government investigations, Kelley Drye lawyers draw on extensive experience working with investigators and prosecutors in the United States and abroad.
- Consumer Protection– Kelley Drye represents clients in all areas of consumer protection law, including false and deceptive advertising, unfair trade practices and privacy issues related to the use of personal information. We have an excellent record in advertising litigation and National Advertising Division proceedings, and substantive experience at the FTC, the offices of state Attorneys General and the broadcast networks.
- Counseling and Compliance– Kelley Drye provides counseling that ranges from quick advice on urgent issues, to full-scale antitrust compliance programs, to antitrust audits. We help businesses minimize antitrust risk when implementing dual-distribution plans, establishing exclusive contracts and restrictions, resolving disputes and encountering other issues. In cases of joint ventures, licensing and other arrangements, the firm helps clients extract the benefits of collaboration without triggering antitrust issues.